Tuesday 5 May 2009

In the beginning God created running shoes

So, it begins.

I can run 13.1 miles in around 1 hour and 35 minutes.
I weigh 188 pounds.
I am currently running between 30 – 35 miles per week.
I am injury-free.


These are the facts as I count down the first of 172 days of preparation for the Beachy Head marathon.
The first thing everyone has said so far when I mention it to them is “are you going to throw yourself off the edge?”, of course, I reply, “It depends how well it’s going.”
But that it is in the latter part of October, I personally think the hardest part comes before the race itself.
So, how am I starting this colossal undertaking? By doing precisely sod all in exercise terms. The wife and I are out to dinner then attending a leaving do at her workplace tonight.
Nutritionally I will be on the right track, breakfast was a trusty bowl of Bran Flakes and almonds, lunch a tuna salad. But for sheer miles-under-the-belt I am doing precisely nothing.
Well, I say that, I walk a good mile-and-a-half into work every morning so it’s something.
But I know I will undo that with a couple of ‘units’ tonight.
I have been doing preparation of a different kind, however, in the form of reading a highly recommended book. You can see which one here
So, with my head bowed in shame, I leave what should have been a triumphant first post and prepare to make you all proud of me come tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment